Skip to main content

The Amazing Power of Words

When I was growing up there was a saying that sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me. That adage supposedly was teaching that it didn't matter what someone said to you. Insults were only thin air. Yet day in and day out I counsel people who were damaged by what someone else said. Only it wasn't the words that were the cause but the interpretation of those words. I wonder what percentage of us really means our words to wound our loved ones or friends.

When my daughter was seven, my marriage was in shambles. I had been miserable for years, but despite my misery I didn't consider divorce because of my two young children. Then one day I got a letter from my mother asking me if I needed money for a lawyer, and soon after my best friend also suggested a lawyer, and my sister-in-law told me that if I had to make a quick get-away I could count on her to take us in. I couldn't figure out why they were talking of divorce since it wasn't on my mind!


One afternoon, as I was watching TV with my daughter, she turned to me and asked if we were going to get a divorce. I was dumbfounded. I assured her that we were not. At that moment I really meant it. I had no such thought. I was so dense that I didn't get what everyone else knew. Less than six months later I had filed for divorce. I guess I finally realized that I couldn't stand the pain anymore. My daughter was very upset and angry with me for a long time after that.

About twenty-five years went by during which I married a wonderful man and had a happy life. Around then my daughter was in therapy trying to deal with her life experiences and was making great strides. One day she phoned me to tell me that she had spent her latest therapy session dealing with her anger toward me because I lied to her.

In that moment I knew exactly what she was upset about. She thought that I lied to her when she asked about our divorce all those years in the past, but the truth was that I wasn't lying at that moment. Since the divorce took place so soon after our conversation she felt as if I had betrayed her. For twenty-five years she had held that anger toward me. I felt awful when I realized what that one sentence had done to her. Even though she accepted my explanation it couldn't undo all the ramifications of how her belief that I lied led to unhappiness in her life. If only I had know what was going on in that little girl's brain so long ago.

In my line of work I constantly hear people recall the exact words that a parent, teacher or important adult said to them in childhood that were like knives turned in a wound. One woman who grew up in New York City asked her dad to meet her at the subway station near their house when she came home after dark, when she was in high school. He told her that no one would steal her, trying to reassure her that they lived in a safe neighborhood. What she heard was, that only things of value get stolen, and she wasn't worth stealing.

Some people are told they are just like their father. This could be interpreted to mean they are brilliant, handsome, and talented or perhaps they are a loser, alcoholic, or deadbeat. The problem is that the person who spoke those words never checked to find out how they were received. The person who was the recipient believed the negative spin she put on them to be the truth.

Sometimes that child grows up, holding on to the hurt that was done, remembering where the incident took place, and even what he was wearing at that time, but the parent has no clue that it ever took place since it started out as an offhand remark not really meant to harm. However, by that time the adult has so much invested in the grudge he has carried that it is difficult to let go of his version of the truth. How sad! Yet we all do this. Everyone who is reading this has many memories of words that were expressed in passing that have tormented him or her. Now is the time to re-think the occurrence and release the anger, pain and hurt of the past.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Key to a Better Life

Time management is basically about being focused. The Pareto Principle also known as the '80:20 Rule' states that 80% of efforts that are not time managed or unfocused generates only 20% of the desired output. However, 80% of the desired output can be generated using only 20% of a well time managed effort. Although the ratio '80:20' is only arbitrary, it is used to put emphasis on how much is lost or how much can be gained with time management. Some people view time management as a list of rules that involves scheduling of appointments, goal settings, thorough planning, creating things to do lists and prioritizing. These are the core basics of time management that should be understood to develop an efficient personal time management skill. These basic skills can be fine tuned further to include the finer points of each skill that can give you that extra reserve to make the results you desire.

How to Get What You Want

One of the things I've been very good at is manifesting what I want in my life. People often ask me how I do it. How at only 35 have I managed to have two kids, live in a dream house on the ocean in Hermosa Beach, build two million dollar businesses and attract my ideal life partner? Today, I want to share with you my secrets for having everything I want so that you can too. First, you must understand that you are already a master at manifestation. Look around you and understand that everything around you right now has been created by you and your thoughts. If you are not happy with what you see, take full responsibility for that, not from a place of shame or guilt, but from a place of empowered knowingness that because you have created it, you can also change it. Next, become aware that the secret to having everything you want in life is first knowing what you want.

Hyperion for battlespace communication and information services

Hyperion is a collaborative project between BT, General Dynamics, QinetiQ , Southampton University and Imperial College. It is a cluster project within the Ministry of Defence Data and Information Fusion Defence Technology Centre . Technical Objectives To create an adaptive agent-based architecture capable of significantly enhancing the functionality and resilience of Networked Enabled Capability (NEC) Information Fusion and C2 processes. In particular, by providing an adaptive reconfigurable capability for battlespace communication and information services. Science Objectives To investigate novel algorithms for self-organising network infrastructures in support of military requirements. The specific areas for research are: resilient service-oriented peer-to-peer (P2P) architectures, representation frameworks for network-centric information fusion, mixed initiative information retrieval and integration, complex policy management and control, agent negotiation protocols for NE