Skip to main content

RSS Reading versus Site Hopping

I have a confession to make. I don’t really go visiting websites anymore. For the past month, I’ve just been using my RSS feed reader (Google Reader) for most of my daily reads and research.

Why not? It’s a very streamlined process to get the low-down on what’s new and fresh without the fuss of having to load. I used to have bookmarks folders for all my daily reads and open them all in tabs. Now, while I love Firefox, it is still a resource hog. And opening around 60 tabs will eat up a hell of a lot of RAM and bandwidth. It isn’t really a great option.

Enter Real Simple Syndication. RSS. It’s really a great way to receive updates from your sites. And I think it’s one of the ways to go in terms of publishing your Web content. It’s a whole lot quicker than having to visit every site and reload every time to check for updates.

While Adsense publishers may consider me a lost cause in their chances of getting a few cents from my clicks (since Adsense doesn’t show up in feeds, well not yet), they can still consider me a loyal reader. Which, I think, in a writer’s point of view the better deal. But we’ve got to monetize, right? Plus you can still optimize your blog feeds to feature only snippets of articles so when an RSS subscriber thinks an article is a must-read, s/her will still click on the link and visit your page.

Most of the websites to day feature RSS feeds that you can add to your reader. I must say that it now only takes me a few minutes to get the information I need instead of the usual hours I spend hopping from one site to the next.
Just look at how this guy reads 622 feeds each morning. RSS reading is a must for productivity.

In any case, there are still merits to site hopping. For one, some media and application sites still do not have RSS feeds available so for those, you really still have to visit them for updates. And there’s still StumbleUpon to help you zero in on random interesting topics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Key to a Better Life

Time management is basically about being focused. The Pareto Principle also known as the '80:20 Rule' states that 80% of efforts that are not time managed or unfocused generates only 20% of the desired output. However, 80% of the desired output can be generated using only 20% of a well time managed effort. Although the ratio '80:20' is only arbitrary, it is used to put emphasis on how much is lost or how much can be gained with time management. Some people view time management as a list of rules that involves scheduling of appointments, goal settings, thorough planning, creating things to do lists and prioritizing. These are the core basics of time management that should be understood to develop an efficient personal time management skill. These basic skills can be fine tuned further to include the finer points of each skill that can give you that extra reserve to make the results you desire.

How to Get What You Want

One of the things I've been very good at is manifesting what I want in my life. People often ask me how I do it. How at only 35 have I managed to have two kids, live in a dream house on the ocean in Hermosa Beach, build two million dollar businesses and attract my ideal life partner? Today, I want to share with you my secrets for having everything I want so that you can too. First, you must understand that you are already a master at manifestation. Look around you and understand that everything around you right now has been created by you and your thoughts. If you are not happy with what you see, take full responsibility for that, not from a place of shame or guilt, but from a place of empowered knowingness that because you have created it, you can also change it. Next, become aware that the secret to having everything you want in life is first knowing what you want.